Male, Ph.D. born in August 1975, professor, graduate advisor; review expert in electrical communication of the National Natural Science Fund; IEEE member; member of the High Voltage Technology Subcommittee of the China Association for the Mechanical Industry; winner of the Sichuan University Outstanding Young Scholars Fund; visiting scholar of the University of Waterloo (Canada); visiting professor at Mississippi State University (USA).
1994.9-1998.7: Department of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing University, undergraduate student
2000.9-2003.7: School of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing University, master’s student
2004.9-2008.12: Southwest Jiaotong University School of Electrical Engineering, Ph.D. candidate
1998.7-2000.9: Chongqing Electric Power Extra/Ultra Voltage Bureau.
2003.7-2009.7: Xihua University Institute of Electrical and Information.
2008.6-2008.12: Laboratory of High Voltage at Waterloo University (Canada).
2012.5-2013.5: Visiting Professor at Laboratory of High Voltage at Mississippi State University (USA).
2009.7-present: Sichuan University College of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.
Areas of Research
1) Medium and high voltage cable system: condition monitoring and fault diagnosis, technology for urban power grid operation and maintenance, cable insulation repair
2) Extra/ultra power transmission system: electromagnetic transient and electromagnetic compatibility, condition monitoring and fault diagnosis, lightning protection
3) Development of new test equipment for high voltage insulation
4) Solid dielectric
Scientific research projects:
Contract funding realized so far: RMB 5,131,500 (over the past 5 years); average annual research funding received: RMB 800 to 1500 thousand. Professor Zhou has presided over more than 30 various research projects, some of which are listed as follows:
(1) National Natural Science Fund general project: Repair of Water Tree Aging Cable and its Action Mechanism in Multi-Factor Aging, under research, project leader.
(2) China Postdoctoral Fund: Inorganic Nano Composite Filling Repair Technology for Water Tree Aging Cable, under research, project leader.
(3) Special project financed by China Postdoctoral Fund: Inorganic Nano Composite Filling Repair Technology for Water Tree Aging Cable, under research, project leader.
(4) Project financed by the State Key Laboratory Open Fund of Southwest Jiaotong University: Coupling Characteristics of Electro-Mechanical Machinery of Bow Networks under the Double-Current System, under research, project leader.
(5) Sichuan University Excellent Young Scholar Research Fund: Repair Mechanism of Water Tree Aging Cable, under research, project leader.
(6) China Southern Power Grid EHV Electricity Transmission Corporation: Electromagnetic Compatibility Analysis of Second Order System after the Operation of SVC, under research, project leader.
(7) State Grid Sichuan Electric Power Research Institute: Insulation Aging Assessment of 10Kv Cable System, under research, project leader.
(8) China Electric Power Research Institute: Aging Assessment of Insulator in AC and DC System, under research, project leader.
(9) State Grid Chongqing Electric Power Corporation: Engineering Problems of Impact on Public Power Grid with Chongqing’s Power Supply System for Urban Electric Railway and Countermeasures, completed, project leader.
(10) State Grid Sichuan Electric Power Science Research Institute: Insulation Aging Repair Mechanism for Cross-Linked Polyethylene Power Cable and Adapters, completed, project leader.
(11) Chuan Kai Electric Co., Ltd.: Development of On-Line Monitoring Device for 35kV Overvoltage and Partial Discharge on Plug-Type Cable Head, completed, project leader.
Professor Zhou has published a total of almost 90 papers. Representative works published in the last three years are listed as follows:
 Kai Zhou, Xiantao Tao, Xiaojun Wang, Wei Zhao, Wenbiao Tao. Insight into the New Role of Titanium Isopropoxide Catalyst on Rejuvenation for Water Tree Aged Cables. IEEE Transaction on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, 22 (1), pp. 611-618, 2015. (SCI Category D, 1.228).
 Toward Understanding the Relationship between Insulation Recovery and Micro Structure in Water Tree Degraded XLPE Cables [J]. IEEE Transaction on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, 20 (6): 2135-2142, 2013 (SCI Category D, 1.228)
 Kai Zhou, Xiantao Tao, Youchong Huang, et al. The Effect of Different Rise Time on Partial Discharge Activity of Inter-turn Insulation under Square Wave Voltage [J]. International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, 2013, 23): 1083-1094. (SCI Category E, 0.63)
 Kai Zhou, Li Wan, Xutao Li. Aging Characteristics of Inter-Turn Insulation of Form-Wound Stator Windings of Inverter-Fed AC Motors. Electric Power Components and Systems, 41 (13), pp.1280-1293, 2013 (SCI Category E, 0.664).
 Kai Zhou, Qing Xiong *, Min He, Lingjiang Dong, Yalin Chen. An On-line Monitoring System for Overvoltages Based on a Two-stage Voltage Divider and Field Measurement Results in Medium Voltage Grids. Electric Power Components and Systems, 2015, 3. (Accepted, SCI Category E, 0.664).
 Zhou Kai, Tao Xiantao, Zhao Wei, Li Xutao, Liu Fan. A Cable Rejuvenation Method Based on Formation of Nano-TiO2 inside Water Tree and Its Insulation Enhancement Mechanism [J]. Proceedings of the CSEE, 33 (7) 202-210, 2013. (EI)
 Tao Wenbiao, Zhou Kai, Zhao Wei, Tao Xiantao, Wan Li. Study of Siloxane Injection Technology for Extending the Lifetime of the Operating Cable. Proceedings of the CSEE, 2012, 32 (S1): 76-80 (EI)
 Zhou Kai, Xiong Qing, He Min, Ran Li.Design of Overvoltage Monitoring Device for 10 kV Power Grid and Contrastive Analysis of Its Measured and Simulation Waveforms[J] .High Voltage Engineering, 2015,41 (1): 35-41. (EI)
 Zhou Kai, Xiong Qing, Tao Xiantao, Li Xutao, Zhao Wei. Hot Spots of Medium-Voltage Cable Termination under Harmonic Voltages Superposed on Fundamental Voltage [J] .Electric Power Automation Equipment, 2013, 03: 166-170. (EI)
 Technology for Online Monitoring of Over Voltage inside and outside Distribution Network and Development of Relevant Devices. Second prize from the Chongqing Science and Technology Progress Awards, 2004
 Online Monitoring System for Over Voltage inside and outside Medium Voltage Distribution Network and Development of Methods. Second prize from the Ministry of Education Science and Technology Progress Awards, 2005
 Technology for Detection of Insulation of Electrical Equipment on Electrified Railways and Development of Complete Sets of Relevant Equipment. Third prize from the China Railway Society Science and Technology Progress Awards, 2008
 Technology for Detection of Insulation of Electrical Equipment on Electrified Railways and Development of Complete Sets of Relevant Equipment. First prize from the Chengdu Science and Technology Progress Awards, 2009
 Silicone Injection Technology for Extended Service Life of Cables in Operation. First prize for outstanding paper granted by China Society for Electrical Engineering, 2012
 Repair of Aging Crosslinked Cables Based on Renewable Insulation Technology. Third prize from the Sichuan Electric Power Corporation Science and Technology Progress Awards, 2013
Over the past five years, Professor Zhou has had 18 full-time master’s students, of whom 8 are recipients of the National Scholarships, 6 are recipients of Class A scholarships, and 1 was named as Rising Academic Star at Sichuan University. Professor Zhou has acquired internship opportunities for graduate students from China Electric Power Research Institute and Sichuan Electric Power Research Institute. Each student has at least one opportunity to attend domestic academic meetings. Under Professor Zhou’s guidance, seven master’s students have graduated, working at Fujian Electric Power Research Institute, Ningxia Electric Power Research Institute, Shanxi Electric Power Research Institute, Chengdu Electric Power Bureau, Kunming Power Supply Company, Hunan UHV Company and Leshan Power Supply Company.
Programs offered to students (5-6):
(1) High Voltage and Insulation Technology (2) Electrical Engineering
Contact: Sichuan University High Voltage Laboratory Email: Zhoukai_scu@163.com