Professor and doctoral advisor at the College of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
Area of Expertise: Electrical Engineering
Specialties: power system analysis and control; electricity market; power system automation and computer application
He received the B.S. degree and M.S. degree in power system and its automation from Chengdu University of Science and Technology, Chengdu, China, and Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from Brunel University, Uxbridge, U.K. in 1984, 1989, and 1998, respectively.
Since 1998, he has served as a full professor and doctoral advisor in the College of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Sichuan University. He is entitled to the special government allowance granted by the State Council.
In June 2004, he was rated as an “outstanding communist” for his remarkable performance in the “communists’ pioneering projects launched since 2002” by the Sichuan University Committee of the Communist Party of China. In June 2006, he was rated as an "outstanding communist” for his contributions to the “2004-2006 party building and advancedness education” campaign launched by Sichuan University.
Courses: Electricity Market Theory, Power System Overview
Guidance: curriculum design, graduation project, credits system, Wu Yuzhang College, innovative practice
2. Master's and doctoral students
Courses: Senior Analysis of Power System, Electricity Market Theory (22 students have graduated with Ph.D. degree and 86 have graduated with M.S. degree)
Guidance: overview, cutting-edge courses, academic exchanges at home and abroad
3. Teaching reform
Discipline development, curriculum system, classroom innovation, laboratory development target
● 1999—Second prize for outstanding teaching achievements awarded from the XJ Education Fund of China Electric Power Education Foundation
● 2012—Baosteel Excellent Teacher
● 2012—First prize for teaching reform awarded by Sichuan Provincial Department of Education for undertaking the reform and innovation project in the Electrical Engineering discipline
● October 31, 2012—First prize for excellent teaching achievements at Sichuan University
● “Award for Excellent Quality in Classroom Teaching” for prominent achievements in undergraduate education at Sichuan University in 2012
● May 2014—Third prize for outstanding teaching achievements at Sichuan province for the year 2013
● First 100 outstanding academic papers rated by “Proceedings of the Chinese Society for Electrical Engineering” (2010)
● "Electricity Market and Transmission Network Loss Allocation," on which he in April 2001 provided guidance to the author, won first prize as an excellent graduation thesis. "Integrated Planning of Distribution Network Considering Uncertainty of Both DG and Load," on which he in 2014 provided guidance to the author due to graduate in 2014, won second prize as an excellent undergraduate graduation thesis (project) at Sichuan University. Since over a decade ago, Professor Liu Junyong has received more than twenty honors for giving guidance on undergraduate graduation projects and theses.
1. Areas of scientific research
● Real-time security analysis and control of large-scale complex power grids
● Theory and application of active distribution network
● Theory and practice of electricity market
Five outstanding works including monographs, co-authored works, and translations; over 100 EI and SCI indexed papers and over 150 other papers; undertaking nine vertical projects including the National Natural Science Fund; 121 projects funded by various national and provincial power companies; funds totaling RMB 80 million; five software copyrights. Especially, the power grid visualization system Professor Liu developed for Beijing Olympic Games played an important role, and is widely applied in more than 40 provincial and regional control centers in China Southern Power Grid and Central Divide of State Grid.
3. Projects currently undertaken
National High-Tech R&D Program (863 Program): Key Technology and Application Demonstration of Active Distribution Network
China-UK cooperation project financed by the National Natural Science Fund: On-line Situation Awareness and Interactive Risk Mitigation Technology in Smart Grid.
National Natural Science Fund project: Extraction and Expression Approch of Power System Operation Behavior Based on Big Data.
National Natural Science Fund project: Power System Transient State Vulnerability Based on Transient State Energy Function and Complex Network Theory
National Natural Science Fund project: Analogical Research on Charging-Discharging Service Network Evolution and Coordinated Planning with Distribution Networks for Promoting the Electric Vehicles Development.
Alstom (UK) project: Hybrid EMS / PMU Date Mining Technologies to Enhance Stability
China–EU Energy Saving and Emission Reduction project funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology: Operational Control and Energy Management Technology of Distributed Generation and Energy Storage Devices.
Projects funded by the State Grid:
1. Key Dispatch and OperationTechnologies and Application with Large-Scale Wind Power integration in Power System.
2. Trading and Operation Technologies to Accommodating Long-Term Large-Scale Clean Energy Utilization.
Project funded by State Grid Headquarters: Information Integration and Interoperability Technology for Smart Electricity Distribution and Consumption.
Project funded by State Grid Headquarters: Coordinated Planning of Transmission Network and Power Resources Adapting to the Global Energy Internet—Theory and Methods
State Grid Sichuan Electric Power Corporation: Security and Stability Issues on Sichuan Grid with Large-Scale Renewable Integration.
Project funded by China Electric Power Research Institute: Assisting Analysis Module and Peripheral Interface Development of Distribution Automation System Operation and Supervision.
Key project funded by the Science and Technology Department of Sichuan Province: of Cascading Failure Analysis of Large-scale Power Grids and Intelligent Prevention System for Blackout
Project funded by the Information Communication Division of Sichuan Electric Power Corporation: Monitoring and Management System for Application Performance
Project funded by the Information Communication Division of Sichuan Electric Power Corporation: Network Maintenance of Information Systems of Divisions Directly under the Corporation
Project funded by Central China Power Grid Corporation: Smart Visual Dispatch System for Central China Power Grid
Project funded by Sichuan Electric Power Corporation: Visual Dispatch System for Sichuan Power Grid/Trading Analysis and Decision-Making System for Energy Saving in Sichuan
Project funded by Beijing Electric Power Corporation: Research and Development of Visual Dispatch System in Beijing Grid
Project funded by Shanghai Electric Power Corporation: Key Information Analysis and Announcement System for Shanghai Electric Power Transactions/ Direct Power-Purchase Research by Large Consumers.
Project funded by China Southern Power Grid Corporation: Real-time Data Analysis and Decision-Making for Regional Grid Control/Technical Support System for the Electricity Market of China Southern Power Grid
Project funded by Chengdu Power Supply Corporation: Research and Application of Dispatch Support System for Smart Distribution Network/ DC System Simulation of Power Substations
Project funded by Guangdong Power Grid Corporation: Smart Simulation and Evaluation of Real-time Var/Voltage Control System in Regional Grids
Member of China Committee of CIGRE; Chinese delegate of CIRED working group; Distinguished Visiting Professor Funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering (UK) in 2013; Chairman, organizer, or speaker at over 10 international conferences
Chairman of the Deans/Presidents Joint Committee of the University Association of Electrical Engineering China (vice chairman of the first and second joint committee, and chairman of the third and fourth joint committee); vice chairman of the Sichuan Provincial Society for Electrical Engineering; vice chairman of the Sichuan Provincial Society for Electrotechnology; chairman of the Tianfu Alliance of Science and Technology Enterprises in Electric Power Production; director of the Sichuan Province Smart Grid Key Laboratory; advisory expert for IBM China; editor of Proceedings of the CSU-EPSA; editor of Electric Power Automation Equipment;editor of Journal of Electric Power Science and Technology; editor of Automation of Electric Systems; editor of Modern Electric Power; editor of Journal of Sichuan University (Engineering Science Edition); editor of CESS Journal of Power and Energy Systems; editor of Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy (MPCE); deputy chairman of the editorial board of Sichuan Electric Power Technology
Future Directions in Research
● Real-Time Power Grid Monitoring: Improving and Applying the “Dispatcher Thoughts based Theory”
● Developing a Planning and Operation System for New-Energy Network Based on Automatic Planning Theory
● Developing a Distributed, Inter-Temporal Electric Power Trading Platform for Multiple Parties with distinct interests